Leaves on the Trudgian Tree

Exploring the lives of one Trudgian family in Galena, Illinois through the eyes of their daughter, Lillian, during the years of 1913 through 1931. Lillian's authentic diary entries explore the family, neighbors, what is happening in Galena, as well as, national events and of course the weather and the crops!

Name:
Location: Portage, Michigan, United States

Since all three volumes of "Lillian's Diaries: Whispers From Galena's Past" have been transcribed and published, I am currenting working on another book about the Trudgian (Tregian/Trugeon) family. This time it will be a novel based on historical events which involve my ancestors in Cornwall in the 1400-1600's. I have just started organizing my research so it will be a year or two before you will see it in the bookstore! I have just finished leading a Genealogy Class for beginners at my church. At the end of the six session class everyone had discovered some new information about their ancestors but there was, of course, many more questions to be answered. So I started the "Whispers From Our Ancestors" blog to provide a space for us to share our genealogical joys and roadblocks. Http://seekingourpast.blogspot.com is open to everyone doing genealogy - beginners to experts and all those inbetween.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Something Extra

I am doing Thomas MacEntee's "52 Weeks To Better Genealogy - Challenge" on Facebook. Since I am co-leading a group of new genealogists I thought I would do the challenge and pass it on to the new seekers of family history as it is geared towards the new genealogist, but as Thomas says it is always possible to pick up new ideas no matter how long you have been searching for your family roots. The first two challenges were to go to your local library and the local history, archives and/or special collections section and if you have a genealogy blog, write about what you find in your library’s local history and special collections. I must say, I was a little disappointed. I had donated Lillian's Diaries: Whispers of Galena's Past to the room, and was happy to find it there, but was unable to really figure out how the room is organized and how one interacts with it. The room was open and lit, but no one was anywhere to be found [in other libraries there have been volunteers or in some cases a librarian in the room to help]. The room is very, very tiny and works as a display area for things, like a giant wooden checst on the floor, military hats and uniforms here and there and locked display cases of books and whatnots. There is no card catalog, no directions as to usuage of books, magazines, etc. There was a small area of books on "doing" genealogy and most of the rest was on local and state history. I wonder where Lillian's Diaries will be placed once it it is moved from the Newly Added shelf.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home