Leaves on the Trudgian Tree

Exploring the lives of one Trudgian family in Galena, Illinois through the eyes of their daughter, Lillian, during the years of 1913 through 1931. Lillian's authentic diary entries explore the family, neighbors, what is happening in Galena, as well as, national events and of course the weather and the crops!

Name:
Location: Portage, Michigan, United States

Since all three volumes of "Lillian's Diaries: Whispers From Galena's Past" have been transcribed and published, I am currenting working on another book about the Trudgian (Tregian/Trugeon) family. This time it will be a novel based on historical events which involve my ancestors in Cornwall in the 1400-1600's. I have just started organizing my research so it will be a year or two before you will see it in the bookstore! I have just finished leading a Genealogy Class for beginners at my church. At the end of the six session class everyone had discovered some new information about their ancestors but there was, of course, many more questions to be answered. So I started the "Whispers From Our Ancestors" blog to provide a space for us to share our genealogical joys and roadblocks. Http://seekingourpast.blogspot.com is open to everyone doing genealogy - beginners to experts and all those inbetween.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Priming For The 4th

Friday, June 27, 1919: Finished ironing. Ma & Ruby worked in garden. Tillie picked more gooseberries.

Saturday we baked a cake on the new oil stove. We have Aunt Annie's oven. Aunt Tillie made the cake. She went up to Aunt Annie’s this afternoon. We all went to town again this eve. Well, the Germans signed today. Peace. An awful crowd in Galena. Sort of celebrating I guess. The saloons all over the U.S. are suppose to close Monday night at twelve. My won’t that be grand. Hope its so. I guess Ruby feels a little better since going to town. Passed some folks on the road this eve. I bought a white wash skirt looks like satin. Paid eight dollars for it. Too much but very pretty.

Sunday was a  lovly day. All but Ruby went to church this afternoon. Only Uncle Edds & Aunt Tillie there besides us and the minister. We went for a little ride this evening, so Ruby wouldn’t feel so lonesome. Will Tresidders came down to John’s today. Monday was another nice day. Ruby & I each sent for a white silk Georgette waist today. Five ninety-five each. We washed and ironed today. I cut some lawn. Dad cut hay.

July 1 We hauled two loads of hay late this afternoon. Ruby picked some gooseberries. I cut some lawn. On Wednesday we all went  to Galena this forenoon, Hauled hay today four loads. We all took a ride up to Aunt Annie’s this eve. Thursday, July 3, 1919 we all went to Galena this forenoon. Ma bought a white skirt, also shoes and a pair for me. Also paid my dentist bill - twenty one dollars. Well, tomorrow is the Fourth. Big celebration at Scales Mound but Ruby & I didn’t get our waists today.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home