Saturday, May 14, 2011

Love Is In The Air ~ Or Is It?

Friday, May 2, 1919: Clouded up and started to rain again this evening. Ironed today. Also baked bread and coffee cake. Ruby cleaned my room. Received from Sears Roebuck the wall paper for the kitchen. Brown varnished paper. I trimmed most of it today. Saturday was very rainy again. Baked a cake and cookies. Sunday was cloudy and looked like it might rain any minute. Mr. Cavanaugh called up to know if he should come up to Union. Uncle Edd thought not. But later on it started to clear off. Dad, Ma and I went up to Aunt Annie’s in the afternoon. Ruby staid at home to do up the chores early. She thought she might have company. And she did. The parlor was used tonight. Milton came down with the ‘flu’ today. Had the doctor this evening, nearly all of Fiedlers sick.

Monday was cloudy again. We tore up the parlor and tore off the paper. Tomorrow the woodwork has to be painted. Ruby has to decide a question soon. Tuesday was rainy all day, three or four storms. A little sunshine between several times. I painted three chairs and Ruby and I painted the woodwork of the parlor.
Wednesday, Aunt Annie came down in the forenoon and in the afternoon we papered the parlor ceiling. Ma also churned. Ruby baked bread (about the first time). Getting interested. Milton and Fiedlers are getting better. A nice day for once.

Thursday, Pete McDonald* was here for breakfast. But it was before I got up. He always likes to get a meal here. I painted in the morning. Ruby & I went to town in the afternoon in the old buggy. Got thirty-nine cents for eggs. Couldn’t get an appointment with the dentist till a week from Tuesday. Friday, we finished painting the parlor in the forenoon. Ruby and I papered the parlor. Aunt Annie came down in the evening. The paper looks quite dark. It has a rose applique border.

Saturday we had to straighten up the parlor today. Very busy. We all autoed to Galena early in the evening. Bought Ma a hat. About half past ten when we got home. An awful big crowd in town tonight. Something new for us to go to town Saturday night. Well, Ruby isn’t going to Dubuque tomorrow. Sunday was a lovly day. We all went to church in the morning. In the afternoon we autoed to Scales Mound. Thought we would see Charles. But he has gone out to Washington. Has a girl out there. Saw a German helmet and belt and a cap taken off a dead Hun. Grahams were up to Aunt Lizzie’s too. Ben was here in the evening. Elmer is going away to be operated on again Tuesday.

Monday I cut some lawn. We also planted early potatoes and Ma & Ruby planted more garden stuff. Received a dress today from Philkipsborn today. I didn’t like it very well but Ma thinks its nice. Tuesday Ruby cleaned the bedroom. After dinner Ruby & I went to Scales Mound. Our first trip alone with the car, at least for that far. I wanted o see if I could get the car fixed. But Mr. Bird was too busy. He opened the spark plugs for me anyway. Got fourty-two cents for eggs at Tippet’s. We also bought a hundred bran. On our way home on Kane Hill a Ford was coming as we were going up. I got to far to the side in the ditch one wheel went down. The man in the other Ford backed it out for me after awhile. A Kane boy, an old man & Ruby & I pushed.

Wednesday we washed, churned, baked bread. We also cut lawn, straightened up the bedroom and set two hens*. Bernetta invited us over the telephone last night to go to her picnic tomorrow. Would like to go.

Thursday, May 15: Threatened rain this morning. We did not think much of going to the picnic but about eleven it looked better. We hitched up Old Pet and went. Twelve before we started but was over there a long time before we had dinner. Not a very big crowd there. Had dinner outdoors. Had lots of good things. Had a big basket of oranges and bananas, lots of ice cream and candy, besides other dinner. Lots of cake. Bernetta must have spent a lot. Josie, Helen & Bessie were over there. Bessie rode part way home with us. Had a nice time. But hardly had time to go.

*Pete MacDonald ~ not sure who this person is but he weaves in and out of the pages of Lillian's diaries, always asking for a meal and not smelling any too nice....maybe he was one of the first homeless people in the Galena area. Have any ideas on this?
* Set two hens ~ if you have never set a hen check out the glossary in Vol. 2 of Lillian's Diaries: Whisper of Galena's Past for a definition.


  1. I looked up Peter McDonald in the 1920 Jo Daviess County Census and it shows that he was 59 years old, unmarried, born in Illinois about 1861 to a father born in Scotland and a mother born in Ireland, and he was an inmate in the County Infirmary in East Galena with 40 other inmates. The "Head of Household" was the Superintendent of the County Farm. Peter could neither read nor write. He was probably mentally retarded, lived at the County Farm when he needed a place to stay and wandered around the countryside looking for handouts when he could get away for a few days.

  2. Thanks for this info puts another dimension on Peter McDonald. It is interesting to know that in that time period the common person (Lillian and family) was much more open to offering help(a meal and human contact)to people like Peter. I am not sure too many of today's citizens are as open, especially when it comes to offering this in their own homes.

  3. Welcome to the Geneabloggers family. Hope you find the association fruitful; I sure do. I have found it most stimulating, especially some of the Daily Themes.

    May you keep sharing your ancestor stories!

    Dr. Bill ;-)
    Author of "Back to the Homeplace" []
    and "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories"

  4. Thanks Dr. Bill...sharing and learning more from other genealogists is one of my favorite activities!