Leaves on the Trudgian Tree

Exploring the lives of one Trudgian family in Galena, Illinois through the eyes of their daughter, Lillian, during the years of 1913 through 1931. Lillian's authentic diary entries explore the family, neighbors, what is happening in Galena, as well as, national events and of course the weather and the crops!

Name:
Location: Portage, Michigan, United States

Since all three volumes of "Lillian's Diaries: Whispers From Galena's Past" have been transcribed and published, I am currenting working on another book about the Trudgian (Tregian/Trugeon) family. This time it will be a novel based on historical events which involve my ancestors in Cornwall in the 1400-1600's. I have just started organizing my research so it will be a year or two before you will see it in the bookstore! I have just finished leading a Genealogy Class for beginners at my church. At the end of the six session class everyone had discovered some new information about their ancestors but there was, of course, many more questions to be answered. So I started the "Whispers From Our Ancestors" blog to provide a space for us to share our genealogical joys and roadblocks. Http://seekingourpast.blogspot.com is open to everyone doing genealogy - beginners to experts and all those inbetween.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Quiet Day at the Trudgian Home

Thu, Sept 10, 1926: "Yesterday forenoon Len & Ruby went to town. Mother and I stayed home and washed the weekly laundry and hung it out to dry. No rain, so it was able to dry before late afternoon. We took it in and folded it. Today we ironed. Ruby helped and then we made catsup and put up 10 quarts.”

Here’s a question for those of you who read Lillian’s Diaries Vol. I - did you enjoy the recipes I included from the old handwritten and newspaper clippings cookbooks from Lillian’s kitchen? Or is that something that distracted from your reading the diaries?

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Carol Jean "Trudgian" Smith said...

My vote is that the recipes stay! I loved reading the ingredients and how some of them were spelled. In fact, I thumbed through the entire book and looked at the recipes first (before reading the book)with my friends at work....they became quite the lunch-time chat. They kind of "set" the scene for this era....so keep the recipes coming!
Carol Jean "Trudgian" Smith

September 10, 2009 at 10:44 AM  
Blogger Sheryl Trudgian Jones said...

Yes, I liked them too...although the cookbooks like the diaries are mildew filled and Lillian had a habit of straight pinning recipes, newspaper clipping, etc together. These have rusted the item shut, so it is a delicate and allergy pill job to get them ready for the publications!

September 10, 2009 at 11:05 AM  
Blogger Sheryl Trudgian Jones said...

Here's another person having difficulties posting comments. Tambi Nettelhorst says in an email, "I liked the recipes...just like that cookie detective book;"

September 10, 2009 at 11:27 AM  
Blogger Lona said...

OK, now I am posting from home and it seems that I can do it. We'll see. I didn't "subscribe" yet. I'll keep you posted...tee hee...get it? post-ed. it's too early in the morning for me. OK, now it asked for my profile--yahoo was not an option. i chose open profile. here we go again. small adventures.......... request could not be processed.....

September 11, 2009 at 8:16 AM  
Blogger Sheryl Trudgian Jones said...

Yeah!.....now if I can just help my Mother to be able to comment we will be okay.

September 11, 2009 at 8:36 AM  
Blogger Lona said...

BTW-I love the recipes too. I am in awe of the hard work that went into every meal, let alone the picking & cleaning & processing of fruit and berries for jam and jelly. Including such things in this book is another way to preserve some of that for the next generations.

September 12, 2009 at 8:42 AM  
Blogger Sheryl Trudgian Jones said...

Thanks for commenting Lona. Glad you are on board now!

September 12, 2009 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger Sheryl Trudgian Jones said...

Pat Gilmore added this email comment; "As for the recipes, they were interesting but I didn't spend much time reading them. They didn't really add or detract from my read in "Diaries One". I usually passed them by when I encountered them, then would go back later and peruse them quickly. When I wrote my Siemen Family History a few years ago there were so many references to "Grandma's sugar cookies" (each cookie was as big as a frying pan and would get you through an entire morning of field work!), "Aunt Tillie's crumb cake", "Aunt Lizzie's oatmeal cookies", etc. that when I interviewed many of the Siemen relatives for my paper and mentioned these culinary delights a few of the ladies said, "I have Aunt Tillie's crumb cake recipe right here if you'd like it!". I ended up with four pages of family recipes and put them in their own section in the history....with comments from different family members about how they remembered them when they were kids. No one has ever told me that this was their favorite part of the history, though."

September 12, 2009 at 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home