Leaves on the Trudgian Tree

Exploring the lives of one Trudgian family in Galena, Illinois through the eyes of their daughter, Lillian, during the years of 1913 through 1931. Lillian's authentic diary entries explore the family, neighbors, what is happening in Galena, as well as, national events and of course the weather and the crops!

Name:
Location: Portage, Michigan, United States

Since all three volumes of "Lillian's Diaries: Whispers From Galena's Past" have been transcribed and published, I am currenting working on another book about the Trudgian (Tregian/Trugeon) family. This time it will be a novel based on historical events which involve my ancestors in Cornwall in the 1400-1600's. I have just started organizing my research so it will be a year or two before you will see it in the bookstore! I have just finished leading a Genealogy Class for beginners at my church. At the end of the six session class everyone had discovered some new information about their ancestors but there was, of course, many more questions to be answered. So I started the "Whispers From Our Ancestors" blog to provide a space for us to share our genealogical joys and roadblocks. Http://seekingourpast.blogspot.com is open to everyone doing genealogy - beginners to experts and all those inbetween.

Monday, August 31, 2009

Monday, September 1, 1913

9-1-1913: "Well today is Labor Day. No mail today.Papa got up today, Is feeling a little better. They are having a celebration in town today, baseball and horse racing. Quite a few people went along today." or so wrote Lillian Trudgian in her first diary.

She had just celebrated her sixteenth birthday on August 29th and describes herself as "....good looking and tall (about 5 foot and 9 1/2 inches) and slender...." . She goes on to say she ".....has brown eyes and long black eyelashes and medium brown curly hair (Ha-Ha)." She lived near Galena, Illinois out on Stagecoach Trail. The house still stands and is occupied.

In my search for genealogy information on the Trudgian surname I found not only birth, marriage and death certificates at the courthouse......but also Lillian's home and some of Lillian's diaries which have extended my genealogy on this family, while also painting a picture of what life was really like in a midwestern town like Galena in the early 1900's.

Lillian's life was so different than mine....yet there are some similarities between her and I. I turned sixteen on August 1st of 1961 - so we both are Leos. I was also considered to be tall - 5 ft. 7 1/2 inches and slender ( oh, how I wish I could turn back the pages and be slender once more!) with light brown hair that really was curly! And my last name at that time was Trudgian. Lillian is my third cousin once removed!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Sheryl Trudgian Jones said...

Lona Dittmar is having trouble making a comment but through email writes " That Lillian would actually be a Virgo. My daughter’s birthday is August 30, which is why I checked, and we’ve been calling her a Virgo all her life." I will have to check that out- although I am sure she's right.

September 10, 2009 at 11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home